What are pests and how can pests be controlled?
- How To Keep Pests Out of Your House/Office/Warehouse
- What Are the Methods of Pest Control
- What Is Integrated Pest Management
- Pest Control Goals
What are Pests and What Do They Do?
Pests are organisms that cause destruction, spread diseases, and are regarded as a nuisance both in domestic and agricultural life. Pests are insects that damage food supplies or crops. However, not all insects are pests because some insects are beneficial as well. Pests include invertebrates, vertebrates, plants, and other insects that are always destructive in agriculture. Therefore, professional pest control is necessary to reduce its repercussions.
Pests can also cause damage to households. Therefore, home pest control is necessary because they carry diseases that might harm you and your family. Moreover, they can also bite you or your pets and infest your kitchen and bedroom. Pests cause a variety of health risks and have damaging effects, especially inside the home. For instance:
- They might be the vectors for some diseases, namely, dengue fever, malaria, Lyme disease, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, strep, salmonella, and more.
- Pests can also carry allergens that pollute the indoor atmosphere of households. They pollute the indoor air and cause allergic reactions to many.
- They can also disrupt the wood structure of the home. As a result, you might need to pay a huge price for their repair. Moreover, they can also start house fires when they chew on electrical wires.
Insect pest control is necessary to protect households from harmful insects that might otherwise cause public health issues. Keeping about the routine pest control service significantly helps to reduce the damage posed by pests both in agricultural and domestic lives. Learn about the best pest solutions and insect control tips and tricks in this article.
What are the Four Main Categories of Pests?
Pests are of numerous types and they cause different types of damages. However, here we will discuss the four main categories of pests for your enlightenment. Doing so will help you in identifying them with ease. These are discussed below:
Category 1: Agricultural Pests:
The pests that undermine the productivity of crops or destroy them are known as agricultural pests. Crops like jowar, wheat, bajara, sugarcane, cotton, are attacked by pests like shoot fly, armyworms, mites, grasshopper, stem borer, or flea beetles, respectively. Pest control treatment by using chemical pesticides protects the crops from harmful pests.
Category 2: Household Pests:
Household pests cause serious health issues within the household. When they cause health problems among the human population; they are known as public health pests. These insects are of various types, for instance, crickets, cockroaches, ants, fruit flies, house flies, silverfish, etc. Some household pests cause severe destruction to household property and pets. These include insects like carpet beetles, cloth moths, furniture beetles, etc.
Category 3: Nursery and Forestry Pests:
Pests of this category cause deformations in the structure and function of nursery or forest plants. For instance, plant bugs, thrips, and aphids inhibit the photosynthetic activity of the plants by sucking the plant juice.
Category 4: Structural Pests:
Another category is structural pests. These pests cause severe damage to wooden frames, fencing posts, stored papers, furniture, doors, cardboards, library books, components of buildings, and all other wooden articles. The structural pests are of several types, for instance, silverfish, cloth moths, carpet beetles, termites, etc.
Health Issues Caused by Pests
Pests cause severe public health issues if adequate pest control measures are not taken. Some notable of them are discussed below:
- Vector-borne diseases: The disease vectors include ticks, rodents, mosquitoes, and other insects. Infectious diseases like Lyme disease, Zika virus, and rabies can be spread by these vectors. The Environment Protection Agency (EPA) suggests the use of repellents or pesticide products for adequate pest management and minimizing their role in disrupting public health.
- Allergies and asthma: The household pests like cockroaches trigger allergic and asthma-related symptoms. These symptoms include skin rashes, itching, swelling in lips, throat, or tongue, shortness of breath, chest pain or tightness, wheezing or coughing attacks, flu or cold, etc.
- Microbial diseases or infections: Pests also cause microbial diseases and infections, namely, malaria, whooping cough, tuberculosis, yellow fever, plague, sleeping sickness, etc.
Pest management services such as habitat manipulation, biological control, use of resistant varieties, and modification of cultural practices help to control public health issues caused by pests. Moreover, commercial or corporate pest control services prevent and eliminate pest infestations.
Types of pests and their associated health issues
There are numerous types of pests. Some of the common household and agricultural pests are enlisted below:
- Stink bugs.
- True bugs.
- Japanese beetles.
- Corn rootworms.
- Potato beetles.
- Wood lovers, etc.
Pests cause serious health problems including allergies and infections. Some of the common health issues associated with pests are vector-borne diseases, asthma, malaria, dengue or yellow fever, skin rashes, Zika virus, West Nile virus, Lyme disease, respiratory illnesses, Rat-bite fever, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, respectively.
Description of Common Pests
Here is a brief description of the 7 common pests that are mostly found in households, offices, and warehouses.
Cockroaches are regarded as the most adaptable pests on the surface of the earth. There are around 4500 species of cockroaches wherein 30 of them are considered pests. They are mostly found in homes, buildings, and areas that have warm environments. They can spread around 33 various types of bacteria and are responsible for triggering asthma attacks and allergies specifically among children.
A cockroach can live for about a month without food whereas it can survive for about 2 weeks without any water. They consume organic foods and mostly prefer eating meats, sweets, and a starch diet. They are also fond of consuming items like books, hair, and any decaying matter. They prefer to live in dark, wet, and warm areas like basements and sewers. There are health-related problems caused by cockroaches, for instance:
- Fever, Sneezing
- Joint or muscle pain.
Effective cockroach control is important to ensure health and safety inside your home or office. Before waiting to apply the cockroach control treatment from a professional pest control service; it is vital to apply the preventive techniques. Doing so will help you to get rid of cockroaches even before they try to enter your home or workplace.
How to prevent cockroaches?
Some notable tips to prevent cockroaches to invade your home or workplace are discussed below:
- Seal your entrance: Cockroaches are more likely to enter your place when there is extreme heat outside or cold outside. To protect themselves from extreme weather conditions; they stay active to find places where they find cracks or holes. Therefore, it is important to seal your entrance or such places with caulk or an effective sealant to keep the cockroaches away.
- Dry up moist places: Cockroaches mostly prefer moist areas whether it is in the basement or otherwise. Leaky pipes and dripping faucets most attract cockroaches. It is recommended to check areas behind toilets, under the sinks, or in the basement where there is moisture. A dehumidifier is good to consider for drying the moist areas in the basement.
- Store food in sealed containers: All types of food in thin packaging attract cockroaches to spoil the food. They are fond of chewing food embedded in thin plastics or through cardboard. So, always store your food in sealed containers so that the cockroach doesn’t reach it. You can also use sturdy plastic bins to store and protect food on a large scale.
- Declutter: Donate items that you do not use regularly and keep a minimalist approach especially in the kitchen. When things are jumbled up at a place; it becomes difficult to clean them frequently. As a result, cockroaches or other pests can reside which can later cause problems in your household. Apply effective pest control solutions before cockroaches enter your kitchen or home to cause any disturbance.
However, if cockroaches have already entered your place and visit it regularly; it is good to go for the cockroach control services for better results. Pest control treatment is necessary to keep the pests away and to ensure everyone’s health and safety. Take help from pest control services for adequate pest control and never ignore home pest control to keep away the pests from entering your home.
Lizards are small reptiles that have around 4675 species including skinks, monitors, geckos, Gila monsters, chameleons, and iguanas. Small lizards are mostly found inside homes and buildings where they are considered pests. Lizards do not cause much harm to humans but still, they are classified as creepy crawlies, and they might jump onto your head or crawl through your bed by triggering fear. Lizards carry salmonella bacteria which can cause typhoid or paratyphoid fever. Salmonella bacteria are carried by the lizards which spread food-borne infections among humans. The following things are a source of attraction for small lizards:
- Water from the leaking pipes.
- Stagnant water is found in garden ponds.
- The water in the kitchen sink.
- A place full of insects.
- Open windows and doors.
- Warm places.
Though lizards are present in every home or office area. Below are some tips to prevent them from entering your place:
- Seal the entry points: First of all, identify your entry points and see if they need sealing. It is imperative to seal the entry points because lizards can easily enter your place as they have flexible bodies. A minimal gap is sufficient for the lizards to come inside and reside. Therefore, note the areas that have gaps, cracks, or those that need sealing and fill them with caulk or install weather-stripping to the sides of doors, windows, or edges. For further guidance, you can approach a lizard control specialist to do the task for you.
- Use natural repellents: Use natural repellents as a form of lizard treatment to keep them away from entering. Deploy things like pepper, hot sauce, or cayenne. They create a strong smell and deter the lizards. You can also go for homemade options. For instance, use a pint of warm water with a few tablespoons of pepper to create a spray. Shake this mixture well and spray at the corners of your residing place as well on the windows and doors. You can also hire a lizard control service for further guidance.
- Eliminate food sources: The best way to prevent lizards from entering your place is by eliminating their food sources. Employ the common pest control treatment practices like cleaning your kitchen sink, disposing of litter and garbage, cleaning up the food scraps instantly, etc.
However, if the above tips do not work at your end; hire pest control services to do the task for you. They will employ special lizard pest control techniques to keep them from entering your home or workplace.
Rats are medium-sized, thin-tailed rodents that are found all over the world. They are considered the most destructive pest as around 49% of all businesses report some type of electrical damage that is posed by them. There are four main types of rats, namely, Norway rat, roof rat, wood rat, and marsh rice rat.
- The Norway rat is black or brownish and has a light grey underside. They eat everything; be it, eggs, birds, invertebrates, or plants.
- The roof rat is a black or medium brown rat and mostly eats seeds, insects, leaves, small animals like birds, or fruit. It has long ears and is about 5-7 inches long.
- The wood rat is typically grayish-brown and is fond of eating twigs, berries, seeds, nuts, leaves, small mammals, birds, and insects. Their size differs as per the location in which they reside.
- The marsh rice rat is usually grey or brown. It eats fungus, rice, green vegetation, snails, fish, crabs, marsh grasses, etc.
The common diseases and conditions caused by rats include:
- Lyme disease.
- Weil’s disease.
- Muscle or joint pain.
Rats are fond of residing in elevated areas of human homes. They are fond of living in warmer places, basements, attics, upper parts of buildings, etc.
Some interesting facts about rats:
Here is a list of some interesting facts about rats that will surely surprise you:
- The teeth of rats keep on growing and are super strong.
- Rats are considered great swimmers and can hold their breath for about 3 minutes.
- Rats have a sharp memory and this helps them to memorize their routes.
- Rats can also smile and, surprisingly, they smile with ears.
- The tail of rats keeps them cool and helps them to contract or expand their blood vessels.
Though rats look funny and interesting; however, they have strong paws and can cause severe damage to the inside of your home or workplace. Therefore, it is vital to apply rodent control methods to keep them from entering your place. Rat pest control and pest treatment become necessary when the rodents keep on entering your area. However, it is always better to opt for preventive techniques so that you do not need pest control solutions on an emergent basis. The preventive methods are enlisted below:
- Inspect your place and pay special attention to the cracks, holes, or gaps in the place’s exterior and interior. Seal the entry points.
- Seal any gaps that you find. Fill the gaps with the help of metal kick plates, caulk, cement, wire wool, or as per your individual needs. You can also contact rodent control services near you to do the task for you.
- Eliminate their hiding places instead of using poison. Clean your place and do not pile up things. Keep all the trash in closed bins to keep rats away from residing at your place.
- Consider choosing a trapping technique. Trapping is a good way to eliminate rats from your home without using poison. Poison creates a significant smell that disrupts the atmosphere. So, a trapping technique is better to employ. You can use unsalted seeds, peanut butter, apples, or bananas as bait. This trapping technique is also regarded as a rodent pest control tactic to reduce the rat population.
- You can also use natural deterrent methods that serve as a pest control treatment for rats. For instance, sprinkle crushed pepper near the holes or rat opening areas. Also, spread black pepper, cloves, peppermint oil, at your home’s exterior to prevent rats from entering.
- You can also approach pest control service for rats near you to clean and maintain your place.
There are around more than 12,000 different species of ants throughout the world. However, the most common ants are pavement ants, odorous ants, and carpenter ants. Odorous and pavement ants are collectively known as sugar ants. Ants are the most consistent and frequent pests seen around homes and buildings. Ants live throughout the world in every nook and corner except Antarctica, where they are unable to survive because of extreme cold.
Ants create their nests in the ground, and they are fond of living together in colonies. Ants are omnivorous and like to eat almost anything. From fungus to sugary items, they eat everything. The lifespan of ants varies. For instance, carpenter ants live for almost 7 years, whereas the ant queen lives for about 5 years. Ants as individuals die within a few weeks whereas in groups they live somewhat longer. Ants contaminate food and cause a few problems to humans. The notable dangers of ants are listed below:
- Home damage: Carpenter ants cause serious damage to the wood. Instead of eating it; they cause damage by tunneling. Since the damage that they cause is mostly hidden; determining the ant infestation is more arduous.
- Health risks: Though ants do not pose any serious health risks, they can pinch the skin and cause some irritation afterward. However, if a venom results in an allergic reaction; it might cause throat swelling and makes it difficult to breathe.
- Food sources for other pests: Ants are viable sources of food for other pests. For instance, bats are mostly attracted to ant infestation, whereas spiders like to consume ants wherever they find them.
How to eliminate ants from your place?
Are you finding ways to eliminate ants from your place? Then, consider applying the following tips:
Use fresh mint to create an odor that ants do not like. You can also take help from the ants’ control service for better results.
- Cinnamon is also recommended to get rid away of ants in your home.
- Use flour to stop ants in their tracks.
- Squeeze lemons in a spray bottle and spray them onto your door jambs and window pills to discourage them. It is better to apply prevention techniques before pest control treatment for ants so that your place can be free of other pests.
For more information about ant pest control treatment; you can visit your nearest ant removal service. Ant infestation pest control becomes necessary when many ants accumulate at your home which gives rise to other pests. Hire ant pest control service especially when things become out of your control.
More than 2,300 species of termites exist in the world today. Of them, about 180 species cause damage to buildings whereas 83 species cause severe disruption. The four common types of termites that require adequate termite control are listed below:
- Subterranean termites.
- Drywood termites.
- Dampwood termites.
- Formosan termites.
Cellulose is liked by the termites, and they obtain it from sources like humus, leaves, grass, wood, cotton, cardboard, etc. Termites can sting or bite and as a result, people might become prone to certain allergies. Therefore, it is imperative to apply anti-termite control methods or termite pest control tactics to reduce their repercussions.
It is better to apply preventive techniques to reduce the incidence of termites before they cause damage to your place. Some of them are:
- Regularly inspect your place and see if it requires any termite control services. If it does, then, never hesitate to go for wood borer pest control or professional termite treatment on an emergent basis.
- Prevent water leakage and moisture at your place. This will reduce their entrance. To obtain better results, visit Termite Treatment India with confidence.
- Avoid mulch as much as you can. Moreover, do not store firewood or unused timber. You can also go for wood termite treatment if required.
Bedbugs are found throughout the world except in Antarctica. These are nocturnal creatures and feast on blood when one is asleep. They are mostly found in cracked areas, mattresses, bedding, crevices, etc. Bug control becomes necessary when they keep residing at your place or are frequently found. Though they do not cause any serious health risks to humans, they still cause some health complications which are:
- Allergic reactions because of bites.
- Whole-body reaction.
Bed bugs are mostly fed on the blood of animals. However, it prefers to be fed on humans but can survive on any blood available to them. The major sources are rodents, birds, cats, and dogs. Bug treatment becomes essential at least after every 2 months. However, if they keep on coming to your place; you need to have professional pest management services off and on. So that your residing place can immediately get rid of them.
The hiding places of bed bugs are mostly found in areas like cabinet joints, electrical machines, screw tops, under-wall hanging, detached wallpapers, etc. For bed bugs prevention and solution, you need to follow the following tips:
- Clean your bed and the area surrounding it with a vacuum cleaner.
- Use zippered covers to protect your mattresses.
- Pastedown the stripping wallpapers on time.
- Contact the nearest pest prevention company to do the task for you.
However, if you still find any difficulties; go for professional bed bugs pest solution or bug pest control to protect your place. The bug exterminator will help you in getting rid of these bugs right away.
Spiders are natural predators that mostly feed on cockroaches, mosquitoes, and other small insects. It is estimated that every 2 out of 3 homes in the US have spiders in their residing place. There are multiple types of spiders, for instance, sac spiders, crab spiders, ground spiders, wolf spiders, jumping spiders, American house spiders, daddy longlegs, etc.
Spiders are fond of eating ants, fleas, flies, mosquitoes, and other small insects. Home spiders mostly live in quiet or hidden places. Areas having a lot of clutter and easy access to food and water mostly appeal to the spiders. Spiders can bite humans and as a result, a minor irritation can be caused. Though spiders are beneficial as they can eat other pests, it is imperative to opt for a spider pest control method if you come across too many spiders at home.
It is always good to go for prevention techniques before going for pest prevention or spider pest control services. However, if you need them; they are always at your disposal. There are numerous ways to prevent spiders from entering your home or workplace. For instance:
- Use peppermint oil or lemon peels and rub them along your door frames or window pills. You can also take help from professional pest control services in this regard.
- Declutter and adopt a minimalist approach.
- Use chestnuts as repellents for spiders.
- A pet can also help with spider control.
How To Keep Pests Out of Your House/Office/Warehouse?
As they say “prevention is better than cure”; this applies to the pests as well. Before they pile up at your home, office, or warehouse; it is better to take prevention steps so that they do not bother you or your surroundings. There are several ways to minimize their chance of occurrence. Some notable tactics are listed below:
Properly seal your doors and windows.
Regularly inspect the broken windows and doors. Repair them at your earliest so that the pests do not wiggle through tiny gaps or cracks. Caulk your windows and doors with the help of silicone or acrylic latex caulk. You can also add weatherstripping and door-seal kits to keep away insects from entering inside. You can also take help and guidance from the pest control company in this regard.
Keep checking gaps and cracks wherever they occur.
Pests do not always enter from broken windows and doors. Therefore, it is necessary to inspect the entire exterior of your home, office, or warehouse frequently. Seal any openings with coarse steel wool, copper mesh, mortar, or sheet metal. Do not expand the caulk to the entire exterior areas as many pests can easily chew it and your whole effort would get wasted. You can also visit your nearest pest control specialist for any further queries.
Use sealed containers to store food.
Some pests have an excellent sense of smell and if there is an open food container; they are likely to spoil all the food. Use resealable bags or reusable containers for storing the food especially if the original packaging cannot be fully sealed. Do not spoil your food and use this pest control management trick to keep the pests away from your place.
Clean drains and flush out clogs.
Floor and sink drains are highly attractive areas for pests to thrive. This is because debris and gunk are mostly accumulated in these areas and they provide an ideal breeding site for the pests. Therefore, it is imperative to clean all the drains with consistency and inspect them regularly including those in the basement or laundry room. Contact professional pest management services for pest control treatment. Also, take guidance on the best drain cleaner so that you flush out the clogs and clean all the drains of your area. However, you can also add vinegar and baking soda to make an excellent home-based drain cleaner and to keep the pests away.
Use bulbs that are least attractive to insects.
Use the right light bulbs that are least attractive to insects. Bulbs having orange, yellow, or pink tints are better to use in homes, offices, and warehouses as compared to the standard mercury vapor lights. Pest prevention is a must to ensure that your surrounding is safe from the destruction that they cause. However, if you encountered pests in your home or office; do not hesitate to reach Pest control & disinfection service to correct a load of microorganisms in your place and prevent them in the future.
Minimize plants and mulch.
If you have any tree branches or shrubbery that touch your home; trim them up. These tree branches otherwise provide bridges for pests by which they can easily reach your home. Mulch provides shelter for the pests to thrive in your garden beds. To keep them away from your surroundings; it is better to use less attractive ground cover for the pests like rocks. You can also approach an herbal pest control service in this regard for further enlightenment.
Clean your surrounding regularly.
Clean your home or office regularly to make it less attractive to pests. When you clean your area with consistency you can easily pick up the debris and crumbs which can otherwise serve as a potential food source for the pests. Moreover, with regular cleaning, you’ll look for areas where pests might be wondering to create their home. Prevent pests before they become a problem in your home or office.
Dispose of litter and trash well on time.
Garbage is a source of attraction for the pests like rodents, ants, or roaches. The yard waste is a source of food for them; therefore, always cover the trash cans with proper lids and clean them regularly. Also, make sure that your garage, deck, yard, and patio are free of any litter, standing water, plant clippings. These are otherwise ideal environments for pests to create their homes. Contact your nearest professional pest control service for further information.
However, if you are unable to employ the given tips and tricks by yourself or the pest problem is beyond your control; you can call pest prevention services near you to do the task for you. They provide the best pest control services and clean up your area by eliminating the source of the pest problem. So, why not hire this service right away?
What Are the Methods of Pest Control?
Have you got bugs, rodents, or roaches in your home or office? Are you struggling to get rid away of them? Are your crops always at a threat of pests and do you want to stop worrying about their incidence? Then, feel happy because the following information will surely enlighten you on the right track. Knowing different types of pest control methods is pivotal to cleaning the area that is accumulated by the pests. Moreover, it is imperative to bring back the health of your household and keep the pests away from your surroundings. Let’s discuss 5 methods of pest control with brief details.
- Organic method: This natural insect control method is mostly preferred by people who want to minimize the damage caused by the pests and to ensure the safety of their kids and the household including their pets and plants. In this type of pest control, sprays, trapping techniques, or poison in the bait are mostly employed to control the pests.
- Biological method: Another insect pest control method is the biological method. In this method, living organisms are used to control the pests. For instance, a parasite or a predator is introduced into the pests’ environment to reduce their number.
- Chemical method: The chemical pest control method employs the use of chemical products in both commercial and residential areas to control pests.
- Electronic method: This method has emerged with technological advancements and eliminates the pests completely from a place where they are residing. This method uses electromagnetic and ultrasonic waves to harm the pests.
- Hygiene control method: In the hygiene control method, the pest’s access to food and water is prevented. This is done by cleaning homes and offices regularly, removing standing water, cleaning up the spills within a quick manner, storing food in sealed containers, etc.
What Is Integrated Pest Management?
Integrated pest management (IPM) is an environmental-sensitive approach to pest management that can be applied both to agricultural and non-agricultural settings. It follows an eclectic approach by using chemical, biological, and cultural practices for pest control and management. IPM programs have greatly helped communities in providing pest control services and have proven records of their effectiveness. It works on 6 simple steps which are enlisted below:
- Step # 1: Identification of pests.
- Step # 2: Monitoring pests’ activity.
- Step # 3: Determining their action threshold.
- Step # 4: Exploring the treatment options as per the surroundings.
- Step # 5: Providing treatment by considering the pest control process.
- Step # 6: Evaluating the results and follow-up.
IPM is important because of several reasons. For instance, they reduce the likelihood of environmental risks associated with pest management. They adopt sustainable pest control tactics without polluting the soil, water, or ground of an area. They also reduce environmental threats and promote healthy plants and sound structures. Lastly, they promote bio-based pest management alternatives for the sustainable development of communities.
Pest Control Goals
Pest Control refers to the management or regulation of pests because of their disadvantages to human life. Be it agriculture, domestic, or professional life; the accumulation of pests causes serious health issues and undermines the productivity of crops and structural areas. Professional pest control treatment is important to keep the pests away from households, offices, warehouses, and agricultural or industrial areas. There are 3 basic goals of pest control, namely.
- Prevention: In pest prevention; the goal is to prevent pests from becoming a problem. For this purpose, home pest control or insect pest control is usually done to prevent the emergence of pests in households or agriculture.
- Suppression: Suppression is about reducing the pest numbers so that they do not cause any further damage. Pests not only disrupt individual or public health, but they also undermine the productivity of plants, structural areas, crops, etc. Professional pest control is usually done when the pests in an area are beyond one’s control.
- Eradication: Eradication is about destroying or eliminating the entire pest population. This is mostly done with corporate pest control services or professional pest management services to clean up areas where pests are residing.
Contact Best pest services or a reputed pest management company to do the task for you.